The Smokehouse has a rich history beginning in 1844-45 when it was constructed just prior to beginning of construction of the Brown residence, just 40 feet away. Much of family life was centered on the process of salting and smoking each fall for the year.
The Smokehouse has over the years served numerous functions, from a cutting room for flowers, to Jimmy Buffet’s “Old Town Theatre” and viewing room in the 1990s, to the full time, bustling farm office and warm meeting place for passers-by today. Inside the door you will find a basket of apples and carrots to feed the horses, who seem always conveniently to be peering through the window at just the right time. Occasionally you will find a chicken passing through.
“Hog killing time was exciting at Old Town. She [Anna Bell] was in the middle of everything, laying out the meat, salting it, trimming and smoking the hams. On her portable sewing machine which was always at hand she sewed the bags for the sausage and helped stuff them. This last operation was done at night at our farmer Ammon’s house, from which we could hear peals of laughter as she, Ammon, Marry Ann and Willie sat around together working the sausage.”Goodpasture, Henry, Memoirs of Henry Goodpasture, 1979, page 68.
Nestled between the main residence and the Milk Barn is The Tennant Cottage. The cottage, built in the 1930s and fully restored in the early 1990s, has two bedrooms, a comfortable living room, and typical farm kitchen, appropriately stocked for canning. The front porch with two white rockers is a favorite place from which to observe all the happenings going on at Old Town.
Traveling south on the the tree canopied Old Natchez Trace, just after passing the 1801 bridge to the right, you see commanding the hill beyond the Temple Mounds the iconic Log Cabin, with its hand hewn logs and interlocking corners.
Not original to the grounds, the early 1800, “dog-trot” log cabin was moved by the Buffett’s from northern Alabama in 1993. In the wide planks of the central breezeway floor you will find inlaid the two-foot in diameter wood carving of the album cover of Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes, Jimmy Buffett’s breakthrough 1977 album, which remains the best-selling studio album of his career (and contains his biggest single, “Margaritaville”).
Throughout the cabin one delights in the precise craftsmanship of “the Whittler,” well known regionally for his wooden hinges and latches, his fancifully carved cabinets, and his signature touch of stained glass. The original massive, dug-out, single log salting trough has been preserved as a swing on the back porch of the Cabin.
Tracy and Bill fondly spent two years living in the Cabin during the 2018-2019 restoration of Old Town, enjoying the warmth and crackling of the four fireplaces and rocking for hours on the front porch, sharing stories with friends and family dropping by. Just off the porch, a constant stream of multiple species of birds provided calming entertainment as they feasted from four feeders. And, of course, the chickens made their regular expectant passes by the porch, knowing Tracy would always save a little something for them from the dinner the night before.
Old Red Barn
Built at the turn of the century, the Old Red Barn is a focal point of activity for the farm and family. Over the years the barn, with its century-old footprint of a typical, constantly adapting, working farm barn, the Old Red Barn has been repaired and added to over the years using cedar, poplar, and oak.
One side stays closed to the weather, the other wide open to livestock. The original grapple system and old hay loft stand unchanged with time.
The large working barn has its own striking character. As one approaches, the first thing noticed is that the old hayloft doors have been replaced (by Jimmy Buffett in 1992) with decorative wooden doors salvaged from Carnegie Hall in New York.
One enters the barn into a central passageway at the end of which sits an old, heavy Virginia millstone (likely quarried from a mountain near where Tracy grew up near Blacksburg), a reminder of those former days of self-sufficiency and hard work and industry and livelihood. To the right are horses curiously hanging their heads over the stall doors open to the pastures, and to the left is parked Tracy’s shiny black 1951 Chevy truck, if not out for a Sunday afternoon drive.
Inside and back to the left is an old, two-seater doctor’s carriage, with a special compartment for the doctor’s bag, which Tracy had restored to its original luster by the Amish in Birdinhand, Pennsylvania 20 years ago.
Boo and two fellow cats, who all spontaneously arrived to the high ground of Old Town during the thousand-year flood in 2010, regularly patrol the barns at Old Town from comfortable headquarters of their own dedicated stall in the Old Red Barn.
A more recent extension of the barn towards the creek provides a large open but covered space, punctuated by whole cedar tree posts supporting a second floor, for gatherings of friends and family for celebrations and holiday events. This space looks out over a fire pit, high above the creek below and convenient to the outhouse just down the hill.
The furthest northwest structure is The Milk Barn, another turn of the century structure, positioned prominently on the hill overlooking Brown’s Creek.
The Milk Barn has been recrafted by Todd and Tracy as a labor of love with its original wood siding restored and supplemented by matching wood from another barn. It has a full milking parlor with six stanchions borrowed from a similar milking barn from our Sinking Creek Farm in Virginia.
The original design has been modified with two large, open, foaling stalls creekside and the open loft reconfigured for the several hundred bales of hay we bring down from the Sinking Creek Farm each August after second cutting. Twenty yards toward the creek is a peacefully retired, vintage John Deere “loose hay loader.”